Monday, November 10, 2008

One for me and one for you



As an artist and photographer I am always fascinated by the impact the presence of a camera has on people. I opted not to pose or direct people for the hundreds of portraits I took for this project. Usually this was unnecessary, as we are conditioned at a very early age to behave in front of the camera a very specific way.

In early projects involving portraiture that called for me to direct my subjects much more I had a tactic for working with young subjects. I would promise them that if they let me take the picture I wanted to make I would also take a picture that they wanted to make. Usually this was called the "crazy" picture.

This group of kids, who are a some combination of siblings and cousin's and neighbors, took my description of a "serious picture" and a "crazy" picture to heart.

No comments: